Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
luckyPRICK bulletinBOARD
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
March's IOTM: John Malm, Jr. (Read 9666 times)
Rob
luckyPRICK Admin

Crack That Mirror!

March's IOTM: John Malm, Jr.
03/07/08 at 11:03:04

Recently, our resident interviewer, Todd, got a chance to speak to ex-manager & Nothing Records label head, John Malm, Jr. John spoke to us about how he got into the business, going to Lucky Pierre shows, and the role he played in getting the 1st PRICK album released. He also gives us some insight into what he’s doing now and where he sees the music industry heading in the not so distant future. We can’t thank him enough for taking the time to speak with us. CLICK HERE and check it out.

After reading the interview, please come back and discuss it here Smiley

-Rob

"See a view through the keyhole to tu-tu lace, where they make over years!"
Email WWW phogwilde   IP Logged
Jay
Birdman

salright

Re: March's IOTM: John Malm, Jr.
Reply #1 - 03/07/08 at 12:21:23

Quote:
John: Well, Kevin and I have a unique relationship. He was my first client, but is also one of my closet friends.

really? Grin

Hopefully I'm sending some traffic this way. Great interview. I'll probably think of something to discuss later.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 04:08:53 by Jay »  
Email notjaysbestname notjaysbestname   IP Logged
Rob
luckyPRICK Admin

Crack That Mirror!

Reply #2 - 03/07/08 at 14:00:33

Typo. Should have been "closest". Fixed it now.

-Rob

"See a view through the keyhole to tu-tu lace, where they make over years!"
Email WWW phogwilde   IP Logged
absent
Idlewoodarian

Sand X 14

Reply #3 - 03/08/08 at 03:30:00

i always thought john malm was supposed to be the enemy.  Shocked

randyortonsucks   IP Logged
Jay
Birdman

salright

Reply #4 - 03/08/08 at 04:07:52

Enemy is a damn strong term for someone who had such a hand bringing all our favorite artists forward. We don't know what exactly soured Trents relationship with John and after a few cryptic statements, Reznor seemed to want it dropped. We do know that John took some time to clue us in on other things that were probably more comfortable to disclose. It was a very interesting read and I hope more discussion can come from it (preferably on this forum).

Email notjaysbestname notjaysbestname   IP Logged
Cavauro
Idlewoodarian

Reply #5 - 03/08/08 at 08:57:19

That was a great read and John seems like a pretty cool guy. I'll probably check out the acts he plugged pretty soon.

IP Logged
rsowen
Idlewoodarian

I love everything
Kevin McMahon!

Reply #6 - 03/09/08 at 13:41:29

ya thanks for the interview.

nice attempt at getting some upcoming release info....nobody's talking!!

IP Logged
rsowen
Idlewoodarian

I love everything
Kevin McMahon!

Reply #7 - 03/09/08 at 22:15:25

Looking forward to haring this The Village Green Preservation Society

IP Logged
Wspiral
Idlewoodarian

tear it down

Reply #8 - 03/18/08 at 17:31:17

I was pleasantly surprised that this interview even happened. Great job guys.  

One thing about this interview that stuck out to me was John's perspective on the whole status of the music industry right now. It seemed pretty accurate or I agreed with it anyways (for the most part). Some of it seemed like a little bit of wishful thinking. But, it was nice to hear his opinion on it. I'm not really sure about the whole video game thing. It is another distraction. I think the whole music scene is just flooded with crap, even more than usual. And it's hard for anyone with taste to find something they like since they have to filter through a lot more stuff.

Email   IP Logged
rsowen
Idlewoodarian

I love everything
Kevin McMahon!

Reply #9 - 03/18/08 at 22:07:52

Ya one of the parts I don't really agree with was the video games/clear channel/mtv mix pulling kids away from seeking out music on their own terms.  While there's a point there, I think the last 5 years has been all about finding your own music.  Call it piracy, but the internet has empowered anyone to really explore their own musical tastes.  And this really trumps, in my opinion, any homogenization of musical tastes the industry attempts.

As a 17 year old I was a budding music geek, and I look back now and my musical tastes didn't get much more obscure than prick, placebo, radiohead, Catherine wheel and so on.  And now we complain about the insta-hype a pitchfork 'best new music' shout out creates.  This is progress in the right direction.

IP Logged
Brian_Dempsey
Artists

Lucky Pierre

Reply #10 - 03/19/08 at 20:41:14

Interesting article in that Malm never mentions his ex-girlfriend Michele DeFrasia. She gave him the job managing The Phantasy Theatre and that put him in the position to make all those connections in the industry. Also, John calls the LP version with Lash, Zima and DeVito a "great band". Too bad he was too young to see the original Lucky Pierre with Myself, Guciardo and DeVito playing bass instead of fumbling around on guitar. He'd really be impressed. Maybe you guys can send him a few mp3's of the band. But anyway, an interesting read nonetheless............

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print