Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
luckyPRICK bulletinBOARD
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GODFATHER--Interpretations? (Read 6260 times)
downshift
Idlewoodarian

GODFATHER--Interpretations?
04/16/08 at 13:36:59

Anyone want to take a stab with their interpretations of godfather?  I'm really not to sure myself but I do know that I love the direction of the melody during the phrase "Free soul trains, true"

IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Re: GODFATHER--Interpretations?
Reply #1 - 04/16/08 at 22:56:39

my take on this song is that of finding friendship through the mutual love of certain kinds of art. in this case it's the films of marlon brando. you get a chilly tale of a difficult but yet overly sexual romance played out in rather cold and crappy digs in some shitty part of town.

funny thing is that when i first heard this song my life was extremely similar to this in a lot of ways.

but oh how these pointless existences are
Email WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Birdman

salright

Reply #2 - 04/17/08 at 23:23:41

There's definitely something of that theme going on but I see it more negatively, as I usually do with the Prick songs. Mocking would probably describe the vibe I get with lines like:

hops on her cause
guess it's good for something, i'll pretend to analyze it
sucker to the scene
tragicomic

but the lyrics are up in the air too, so others might be getting something different.

Maybe that's how Caspar was perceiving it but I didn't get the drift in his statement. I never really heard anything suggesting heavy romance either but I'll be on the lookout for it now, surely.

What the hell are those words/phrases, if anything, at the end of the choruses. "Tommy totin' whack king"(i think that's the way it's put forth on the song page) makes sense in the context but 'Knickerbocker toking"(again) makes no sense to me.

so May's SOTM or would that be redundant now?

Email notjaysbestname notjaysbestname   IP Logged
downshift
Idlewoodarian

Reply #3 - 04/18/08 at 09:14:42

Well like is said , I do not have a clear ideas myself, which is why I was interested in hearing other options but I tend to lean more towards the mocking  and dark idea.   Prick songs are sometimes very vague.  

Knickerbocker toking----I have no clue either.

Its cool how people can take the same music and have their own spin on it.   Good stuff.

Thank for your replys.

IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Reply #4 - 04/18/08 at 18:17:51

yes, no i think you guys are right. it's definitely not a warm, beautiful & straightforward relationship. if anything prick songs are more often about the most difficult / challenging social situations. there's nothing pretty in this song, it's more the movies are the most beautiful part - almost an escapism that's needed to deal with everything else.

but oh how these pointless existences are
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print