Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
luckyPRICK bulletinBOARD
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Curious about ThinKing... (Read 8106 times)
divertebrate
Idlewoodarian

Competition for King
Kong.

Curious about ThinKing...
05/14/08 at 16:40:20

Could some characterize the feel of the album? Of course, I've heard "Cloud" (downloaded it back when mp3.com still existed), but I wonder if the rest of the album is more in keeping with "Cloud" or if it has more in common with Wreckard. I love Wreckard a lot, in fact "Universe" may be one of my most favorite songs of all time.

Just wondering what the rest of the iceberg looks like, below the surface.

IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Re: Curious about ThinKing...
Reply #1 - 05/14/08 at 16:41:51

it has a mixture of tracks that feel more like cloud & more like more modernly produced lucky pierre. i'd say it's pretty far from the wreckard give or take 'into my arms', 'tomorrow' and 'universe'.

but oh how these pointless existences are
Email WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Birdman

salright

Reply #2 - 05/14/08 at 18:09:09

Lucky Pierre songs filtered through the Prick mindset is the best summation. Musically it's diverse. There are a good portion of songs that are up tempo and bouncy like Cloud and there are some that chug along. The production is crisper than The Wreckard. More songs lend themselves to ear worming and there isn't really anything like Universe on it. I can't recall much that is similar to The Wreckard but trying to remember ThinKing and actually listening to it are two very different things for me. The french is back, the lyrics are warped, the basic rock instruments are streamlined and the computer flourishes compliment it well.

Email notjaysbestname notjaysbestname   IP Logged
divertebrate
Idlewoodarian

Competition for King
Kong.

Reply #3 - 05/14/08 at 21:43:59

Lest anyone get the wrong impression... Wreckard was hard to adjust to when it came out. I wasn't sure if I should expect something like the S/T album, or if the genius of it was a fluke. When I got Wreckard, it took me some time, but it occurred to me that there was a real artist in there. Its not to say you couldn't get that impression from S/T, but it was definitely packaged for a mainstream audience (or what that looked like at the time).

I actually inteviewed Kevin around the time the album came out. He was touring around, opening for Ned's Atomic Dustbin. I was the only guy standing up front, singing along. He looked at me like I was insane, or was at least surprised someone knew who he was. I interviewed him in his bus right after his set, and I really wish I had known more of his catalog. I was handling him as a new artist, with getting-to-know-you-style questions. My contact with Nothing's PR people, I think it was still Sioux Zimmerman's Formula PR, weren't exactly trying to establish him as a known artist. Anyway, flubbing that interview is one of my biggest regrets as a music journalist. And he was so nice. He gave me a Guinness. They weren't so easy to find back then.

Back to Wreckard. I didn't get it for a long time. There was something really visceral about Wet Cat, and there's some catchy tunes in there, but it was way more obtuse than the previous record. And the production was so beyond what I was used to. It was hyperproduced, while at the same time maintaining the integrity of the original performances. I really got Kevin after that, and in a way comparing and contrasting the two albums I've heard allowed me to develop a primer for figuring him out.

I like Cloud a lot. In fact, I've been racking up plays on myspace because I've misplaced the old mp3.com file. Now that I know the rest of the album is in that vein, it makes it all the worse. Kevin, if you're looking in, please repress. And release a new album while you're at it!

IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Reply #4 - 05/14/08 at 22:33:35

holy crap, man. that's quite the story. not just because you saw them back then & because you interviewed him, but because you saw him open for ned's. i love that band & being from england, got a face-load of them at school because everyone was jamming to them. i was really sad when they broke because, like PWEI, i thought they were just starting to do some of their best work.

funny story -

the day i got the self-titled cd in 1997 i was in kansas city staying with a friend. i was on my year off between school & university and he took me to the hardware store one day because he was a carpenter. we walk in & i notice immediately that ned's atomic dustbin is playing over the speakers quite loudly. now this is unusual even in england. so we get to the checkout & i mention the music & the guys are all like - you know this band ? i of course explain that i know them very well & they all go nuts. turns out there was this little coven to ned's in kansas city and they were clearly itching to talk to anyone else who shared the love.

so i ended up hitching with these guys in a car up to chicago soon after smoking a few joints, drinking a lot and they dumped me on a corner in chicago & i never saw them again.

so yeah - you just reminded me of that because you saw prick & ned's play together. something i will never get to do & that makes me sad.

Email WWW   IP Logged
divertebrate
Idlewoodarian

Competition for King
Kong.

Reply #5 - 05/14/08 at 23:43:11

If you want, I'll blow your mind even more and tell you that where I saw them was in Lawrence, Kansas, a mere hop, skip and a jump from Kansas City. At the Bottleneck on New Hampshire Street.

IP Logged
Jay
Birdman

salright

Reply #6 - 05/15/08 at 00:24:23

That's an awesome story. Do you remember any of the interview details or still have anything buried in a photo album somewhere?

Email notjaysbestname notjaysbestname   IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Reply #7 - 05/15/08 at 01:08:31

Quote from divertebrate on 05/14/08 at 23:43:11:
If you want, I'll blow your mind even more and tell you that where I saw them was in Lawrence, Kansas, a mere hop, skip and a jump from Kansas City. At the Bottleneck on New Hampshire Street.

haha, i'd be willing to bet those guys must have seen them there too. wowzers.

Email WWW   IP Logged
divertebrate
Idlewoodarian

Competition for King
Kong.

Reply #8 - 05/15/08 at 02:13:58

Quote from Jay on 05/15/08 at 00:24:23:
That's an awesome story. Do you remember any of the interview details or still have anything buried in a photo album somewhere?

Ah, I wish. That was 95 I think. 13 Years almost? Really? I had to review R.E.M.'s Monster tour the next day in KC. That was a long time ago.

All I can tell you from our conversation is that Kevin was pretty quiet, thoughtful, and that I really thought I was onto something calling him on his T Rex and Bowie influences. And I remember him saying, "Yeah, I enjoy the David Bowie records I hear on the radio."

I felt like douche. But to be fair, influence questions are about the bottom of the barrel for journalists and he was right to deflect it. Again, Nothing Records kind of presented him like he came out of thin air. And you think its hard to find info on him now... This was before the net really proliferated so there was practically nothing to research. Unless you were somehow an expert on the Cleveland scene, on a national level he was as unknown as it gets.

But to my mind this only goes to make a point that he belongs as an obscurity. It isn't to say that his records shouldn't have a wider audience. Clearly the more people who could hear and like his work the better. But he was too good for the mainstream. And even among the subgenre that he was getting foisted onto, how do you balance "Other People" with the Middle School S&M set that was into NIN's "Closer?" Really, Kevin's too good for the mainstream.

And as a journalist, trying to contextualize "Make Believe" for a mainstream audience is a job that was bit beyond limited skills in those days. Kevin's more Leonard Cohen than Billy Corgan, you know?

PS: Oh, and coincidences being numerous these days, I just saw a couple days ago on NME that Ned's are reforming. So there's that.

IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 09:52:55

yeah, PWEI are reforming again this summer i think too
i saw PWEI play together for what was meant to be the last time about 3-4 years go
it was really quite the most special experience & i'm very glad i was there

i just don't think ned's need to reform. i heard a song & it sucked. they felt badly passed it. they're a legend more than a reality now & should stay that way. that's harsh i know, but i hate bands that ruin things by over doing it.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Wspiral
Idlewoodarian

tear it down

Reply #10 - 08/13/08 at 01:05:42

I found a couple of one minute clips from the old luckypierremusic site from screwing around on web archive. It's not much, but it's more than just hearing cloud.  

http://web.archive.org/web/20041009182210/www.luckypierremusic.com/merchandise.a sp

Email   IP Logged
Anouk_J
Idlewoodarian

Reply #11 - 01/12/09 at 16:29:55

Quote from Wspiral on 08/13/08 at 01:05:42:
I found a couple of one minute clips from the old luckypierremusic site from screwing around on web archive. It's not much, but it's more than just hearing cloud.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041009182210/www.luckypierremusic.com/merchandise.a sp

thanx for the link ! (just bought it... hope it'll work out)

« Last Edit: 01/13/09 at 11:53:47 by Anouk_J »  
Email   IP Logged
Caspar
luckyPRICK Admin

prick

Reply #12 - 01/12/09 at 16:54:28

both site & shop have been dead for a while now. i wouldn't use that old site store link - nothing is functioning at this point it seems. good chance you'll meet a dead end!

Email WWW   IP Logged
Anouk_J
Idlewoodarian

Reply #13 - 01/13/09 at 11:57:14

...to late, i did it.. now i just remains with worry...

Email   IP Logged
Wspiral
Idlewoodarian

tear it down

Reply #14 - 01/14/09 at 06:07:03

Grin

Sorry to cause any confusion with the web archive link. Hopefully everything works out for you.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print